To strengthen and promote ethical behaviour and good governance in the delivery of services to residents of Johannesburg.
The office’s primary function is to be a neutral facilitator who provides confidential and impartial assistance in resolving grievances and complaints.
The Ombudsman will investigate complaints from members of the public who feel that they have been treated unfairly by the City, its departments, municipal-owned entities or employees.
Complaints which the Ombudsman does not deal with include legislative or executive decisions by the Council, any matter relating to legal or arbitration proceedings, labour complaints, any matter relating to the internal or external audit of the council’s financial affairs or alleged irregular conduct of a councillor.
At any police station or through the City’s anti-fraud hotline: 0800 002 587
Yes. Any member of the public who has suffered an injustice as a result of acts of maladministration by the municipality, its employees, entities or departments can lay a complaint with the Ombudsman. However, residents are urged to still take their grievances first through established City structures and exhaust existing remedies before approaching the Ombudsman. In other words, the Ombudsman should be a place of last resort for complaints.
The Ombudsman has powers to demand that any employee appears before him and produce any record, book or file, object or document in any form.

The Ombudsman will have the power to enter any premises owned, controlled or managed by the municipality or its entities to examine any records necessary as well as take charge of or remove them for investigation

He also has the power to report on and ensure the observance of human rights and take steps to redress any human rights violations.

Submission of complaints can be made in any of the country’s 11 official languages. The Office of the Ombudsman will assist residents who cannot write to lodge their complaints.
The City has been advised to include a footnote in all its correspondence informing the public that if they are not happy with a service or information provided, they could take the matter up with the Office of the Ombudsman.
The Ombudsman will set out in writing findings and recommendations to either find justification for the complaint, sufficient evidence to support it, merits and whether it is vexatious or frivolous, or outside his jurisdiction. Where justified, the Ombudsman will approach the City Manager or municipal employee delegated by the City Manager to settle the matter. This could be done through negotiation, mediation or recommendation to seek redress. This could be in the form of an apology, corrective action or referral for further investigation.